Staff Software Engineer, Embedded Firmware, Project Starline
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of experience in software development, and with data structures/algorithms.
- 5 years of experience testing, and launching software products, and 3 years of experience with software design and architecture.
- 5 years of experience in embedded firmware engineering.
- Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- 5 years of experience with software development in programming languages such as C/C++.
- 3 years of experience with embedded operating systems.
- Experience with ARM Cortex-Mx and low-power SoCs.
- Experience creating device drivers and Linux kernel drivers, and knowledge of bus protocols such as USB, I2C, SPI, UART, and SDIO.
- Experience with tool development, enabling partner teams, and debug tools such as debuggers, logic analyzers, and oscilloscopes.
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
Labs is a group focused on incubating early-stage efforts in support of Google’s mission to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful. Our team exists to help discover and create new ways to advance our core products through exploration and the application of new technologies. We work to build new solutions that have the potential to transform how users interact with Google. Our goal is to drive innovation by developing new Google products and capabilities that deliver significant impact over longer timeframes.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $185,000-$283,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Collaborate with hardware, software, and other cross-functional teams on complex system integration tasks to achieve efficient and cost-effective solutions.
- Develop, debug, and integrate general embedded applications for various sub-systems in Project Starline.
- Develop, enhance, debug, and maintain bootloaders and device drivers including Linux kernel drivers.
- Collaborate with hardware teams on board bring-up, power management, and hardware debug.
- Collaborate with contract manufacturing to support diagnostics, test, and operations.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?