Software Engineer, Staff Multimodal and Large Language Models
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Mountain View, CA, USA; Seattle, WA, USA.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of experience in software development, and with data structures/algorithms.
- 5 years of experience testing, and launching software products, and 3 years of experience with software design and architecture.
- Experience with multimodal Machine Learning and one or more of the following: sensor fusion, audio, or LLMs.
- Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- 5 years of experience in research with sequential modeling or generative AI, deep learning architectures, and Transformers.
- 3 years of experience in a technical leadership role leading project teams and setting technical direction.
- 3 years of experience working in a complex, matrixed organization involving cross-functional or cross-business projects.
- Programming experience in C/C++, Java, Python, computer vision, self-supervised learning, transfer learning, and reinforcement learning.
- Contributions to research communities/efforts, including publishing papers in scientific journals and/or conferences.
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
In this role, you will lead a team to conduct independent research and implement systems for multimodal modeling across ambient sensing, device sensing, audio, vision, digital signals, and joint training with large language models.
Google Research is building the next generation of intelligent systems for all Google products. To achieve this, we’re working on projects that utilize the latest computer science techniques developed by skilled software engineers and research scientists. Google Research teams collaborate closely with other teams across Google, maintaining the flexibility and versatility required to adapt new projects and foci that meet the demands of the world's fast-paced business needs.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $185,000-$283,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Design, implement, and validate new machine learning techniques for multimodal modeling and integration/joint training with LLMs.
- Collaborate with other LLM experts and researchers working on other modalities. Develop new techniques to scale training data, including but not limited to augmentation, synthetic data generation.
- Set up data and evaluation pipelines for multiple modalities (e.g., sensors, language, vision, audio, etc.).
- Deploy models for internal testing, experimentation, and demonstration for real-world use cases and publish research results in academic conference and journal.
- Manage individual projects priorities, deadlines, and deliverables, adapting to changes and setbacks. Mentor junior researchers and lead research efforts across multiple teams.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?