Software Engineering Manager, Google Search Journeys (Swahili, English)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in software engineering, technical leadership, or managing teams focusing on user facing products.
- Experience in full-stack engineering management and overseeing strategic projects.
- Ability to speak and write in Swahili and English fluently.
- Experience scaling teams, including managing managers.
- Experience with the Africa market and user expectations.
- Ability to work with new technology and think outside the box to develop and implement short and long-term creative solutions.
- Ability to influence without authority.
- Ability to achieve stretch goals in a fast-paced environment and be an innovative problem solver that can turn ambiguous problems into clear solutions.
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills with a team-oriented management style.
About the job
Like Google's own ambitions, the work of a Software Engineer (SWE) goes way beyond just Search. SWE Managers have not only the technical expertise to take on and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a SWE Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. SWE teams work all across the company, in areas such as information retrieval, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and is growing every day. Operating with scale and speed, our exceptional software engineers are just getting started -- and as a manager, you guide the way.
In this role, you will contribute to market understanding and product strategy, develop the engineering plan and roadmap, effectively resource and operationalize the plan, and manage and monitor the project goals. You will build a team of Software Engineers that produce high-quality code in an efficient manner and support them with code reviews where needed to further optimize their solutions.
In Google Search, we're reimagining what it means to search for information – any way and anywhere. To do that, we need to solve complex engineering challenges and expand our infrastructure, while maintaining a universally accessible and useful experience that people around the world rely on. In joining the Search team, you'll have an opportunity to make an impact on billions of people globally.
- Manage a high-quality team in Kenya focusing on the Google Search mission, creating and maintaining an inclusive culture aligned with Google’s values.
- Lead change and build an Engineering team to create end-to-end journeys for searching on Google.
- Collaborate and problem-solve with product managers, interaction designers, user-experience researchers, business-development specialists, and other functions.
- Help create and shape the local footprint of Google as a company and Google Search.
- Work with distributed systems at scale.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?