Software Engineer, Search (English, Swahili)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in software engineering focusing on developing user facing products.
- Experience in software engineering, including full stack development.
- Ability to speak and write in English and Swahili fluently.
- Experience working with distributed systems at scale.
- Familiarity with Africa market or user expectations.
- Ability to quickly understand and extend/refactor code written by others.
- Ability to work with new technology, develop and implement short and long-term creative solutions.
- Ability to achieve goals in a fast-paced environment and problem solving skills to turn ambiguous problems into clear solutions.
- Excellent collaborating and people management skills to work within a cross-functional team.
About the job
Google's software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.As a Software Engineer, you will help solve difficult and important technical challenges, such as quickly and reliably delivering the best Search experience for local users in Africa. You will create and execute ideas that will better serve relevant and useful information to users, and set goals for how to re-image the entire online Search experience. You’ll build on and contribute to cutting-edge technologies that run Google Search, a product used by billions of users daily. You will collaborate with geographically dispersed teams within Search as well as partner product teams such as Android, Assistant, and YouTube to create an all-encompassing experience. You will use your technical knowledge to identify, build, monitor, maintain and continuously improve features and infrastructure to enable and sustain Google Search success in Africa.
In Google Search, we're reimagining what it means to search for information – any way and anywhere. To do that, we need to solve complex engineering challenges and expand our infrastructure, while maintaining a universally accessible and useful experience that people around the world rely on. In joining the Search team, you'll have an opportunity to make an impact on billions of people globally.
- Collaborate with Product Management, User Experience, Infrastructure, and other teams to identify opportunities, design, and build new features as well as improve existing features.
- Solve difficult and open ended problems.
- Own end-to-end features from conception to launch.
- Manage prototyping, live experimentation, iterating on search quality, leveraging and contributing to powerful technologies/infrastructure (e.g., NLP, Machine Learning), and maintenance of signals, models and infrastructure.
- Collect and analyze the performance of features and platforms, including but not limited to: reliability and latency, customer/ecosystem usage, experiments, and Machine Learning training data.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?