Chief of Staff, Google Research
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Seattle, WA, USA; Mountain View, CA, USA; New York, NY, USA.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience in program or project management.
- 3 years of experience in Machine Learning or Artificial Intelligence.
- Experience developing operational alignment and efficiencies in a technical organization.
- Experience in diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
- Ability to work in a research, startup, or other fast-paced work environment, and ability to analyze, structure, and break down complex business problems.
- Ability to motivate and focus a large organization to pursue and reach challenging goals.
- Ability to influence without authority and work in a highly collaborative environment.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills, with ability to bring disparate perspectives and personalities together towards common goals.
About the job
As the Chief of Staff, you will work closely with Research leaders to effectively run the organization and drive critical technical and business objectives. You will be a key member of the organization’s leadership team, providing counsel, insights, and partnership in the planning and execution of organization-level strategy. In this role, you will lead the business cadence, run strategic projects, support organizational health, and serve as a proxy for leadership, communicating strategy and operational plans to the management team, the organization at large, and key cross-organization stakeholders.
Google Research addresses challenges that define the technology of today and tomorrow. From conducting fundamental research to influencing product development, our research teams have the opportunity to impact technology used by billions of people every day.
Our teams aspire to make discoveries that impact everyone, and core to our approach is sharing our research and tools to fuel progress in the field -- we publish regularly in academic journals, release projects as open source, and apply research to Google products.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $203,000-$299,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Serve as a key strategic thought partner to the leadership team, and contribute to the development of Research's strategic priorities. Offer insights and guidance around the research portfolio and support the leadership team at key decision points.
- Build the necessary relationships and network to ensure Research is well connected to critical partners.
- Provide critical scale to the leadership team and enable effective operations. Be responsible for core operations, including annual planning, resource investment strategy and management, leadership team operations, recurring business reviews, VP/organization-level communications, and overall organization health.
- Partner with and influence across functions and organizations to ensure close alignment of strategy and plans across teams.
- Serve as a go-to leader for critical, oftentimes novel efforts. Work on strategic projects that span the Research, multi-product area, or company level.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.