Senior Director, Engineering, Ads Privacy Safety and Integrity
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Mountain View, CA, USA; Los Angeles, CA, USA; New York, NY, USA; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Seattle, WA, USA; Washington D.C., DC, USA.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Information Systems, or Physics, or a related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 15 years of experience leading development of web based software engineering infrastructure systems focused on Ads or Policy
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or a related field (e.g., Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Information Systems or Physics)
- 15 years of experience in software engineering management
- 10 years of experience leading the development web based engineering systems focused on Ads and/or Policy
- Experience with scalable infrastructure and/or Machine Learning
- Experience leading, scaling, and developing geographically dispersed cross-functional organizations (e.g., organization design, recruitment, and development of existing teams)
- Ability to inspire a large engineering organization and align multiple stakeholders with divergent goals and perspectives, with a customer focus and passion for user protection space
About the job
As a Senior Director, you will lead the Ads Safety engineering team. Safety is central to the sustainable growth of Google’s Ads business. We must ensure that the connections we enable between users, advertisers, merchants, and publishers are safe and trustworthy. The Ads Safety team builds systems that review ads, advertisers, merchants, and publishers in our ecosystem for violations of our ads policies. We strive to do so in a fair, explainable, appealable, and transparent manner so that all the stakeholders in our ecosystem can grow. We cover areas including restricted content, abusive behavior (e.g., fraudulent offers, malicious advertising), and others, in many cases with determined adversarial actors.
Users come first at Google. Nowhere is this more important than on our Advertising and Commerce team: we believe that ads and commercial information can be highly useful to our users if that information is relevant to what our users wish to find or do. Advertisers worldwide use Google Ads to promote their products; publishers use AdSense to serve relevant ads on their website; and business around the world use our products (like Google Shopping, and Google Wallet) to support their online businesses and bring users into their offline stores. We are constantly innovating to deliver the most effective advertising and commerce opportunities of tomorrow.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $316,000-$469,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Develop and evolve the strategic mission and technical direction for Ads Safety, which is critical to the sustainable growth of Google’s Ads business.
- Partner with Product Management leads to establish strategies and roadmaps incorporating technologies (e.g. LLMs) and media similarity, alongside security-minded access controls to advertising features for reducing user and advertiser harm while enabling business growth.
- Deliver compliance with key regulatory requirements.
- Align across multiple internal stakeholders and functions, including Ads Product Area Groups (i.e., Global Business Organization (GBO), Trust and Safety, Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP), Legal, PR, etc.).
- Lead and grow a global organization of engineers. Grow and develop a highly distributed engineering team to improve coordination, execution, and efficiency.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.