Engineering Manager, Google Cloud Engine Workflows
- Experience designing and implementing distributed systems.
- Experience in technical leadership and people management.
- Experience managing in an agile/test driven environment.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience working with two or more from the following: Unix/Linux environments, distributed and parallel systems, information retrieval, networking, developing large software systems, and/or security software development, workflow orchestration tools.
- Experience with Cloud.
- Project management skills.
About the job
Like Google's own ambitions, the work of a Software Engineer (SWE) goes way beyond just Search. SWE Managers have not only the technical expertise to take on and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a SWE Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. SWE teams work all across the company, in areas such as information retrieval, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and is growing every day. Operating with scale and speed, our exceptional software engineers are just getting started -- and as a manager, you guide the way.
Our mission is to enable reliable and compliant workflows development in Google Cloud Engine (GCE). GCE Workflows is a framework team within GCE that helps address performance, reliability, and scalability concerns so business logic teams don’t reinvent the wheel and can focus on delivering their unique offerings.
Writes coming into GCE are modelled as an operation that GCE workflows then orchestrates to completion. These operations range from simple to complex, each with storage, using this image and using encryption keys - a massive operation with multiple sub-steps and large volumes of data being moved. Customers need to be confident that the operation will complete - even in adversity (timeouts, errors, meteor strikes) or massive scale.
Google Cloud accelerates organizations’ ability to digitally transform their business with the best infrastructure, platform, industry solutions and expertise. We deliver enterprise-grade solutions that leverage Google’s cutting-edge technology – all on the cleanest cloud in the industry. Customers in more than 200 countries and territories turn to Google Cloud as their trusted partner to enable growth and solve their most critical business problems.
- Manage a team of engineers to deliver the whole lifecycle of services to design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve software, grow the team members, and help them in their career progression.
- Align with stakeholders and drive team planning to support Workflows in delivering on its business priorities.
- Manage your team's project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Collaborate across teams to deliver joint projects and deliverables.
- Work with our customers (other GCE and GCP teams) to understand requirements, debug problems, and anticipate needs.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.