Product Design Engineer
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience with softgoods integration in consumer electronics space.
- Experience with material analysis and failure analysis techniques.
- Master’s degree in Mechanical or a related technical field.
- 8 years of experience with softgoods integration in consumer electronics space.
- Experience designing tests and performing experiments to develop new materials.
- Experience working with vendors and integration partners in Asia.
About the job
The Google Materials team is looking for a highly motivated Softgoods Product Design/Integration Engineer to join our Materials Science Engineering team. As a critical member of a global, multidisciplinary team that interfaces with Industrial Design, Product Design, Product Integrity, Operations, and our manufacturing partners, you will play the highly impactful role of designing next generation products and developing softgoods integration (assembly) processes to deliver breakthrough experiences for our users.In this role, you will specialize in finding solutions to the unique challenges where different engineering materials need to be connected flexible-to-flexible, flexible-to-rigid parts, or even novel materials. You will require an understanding of the materials and assembly manufacturing processes involved, strong engineering fundamentals to make sense of complex material behaviors, and the adaptability and curiosity to learn from disparate industries.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Our Devices & Services team combines the best of Google AI, Software, and Hardware to create radically helpful experiences for users. We research, design, and develop new technologies and hardware to make our user's interaction with computing faster, seamless, and more powerful. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, the Devices & Services team is making people's lives better through technology.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $139,000-$208,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Give feedback on design for manufacturing with textiles/softgoods, design for robustness and repair, and create part designs that achieve functional, cosmetic, and performance goals for new products.
- Work with Materials Science Engineers on the structure of textiles and similar materials in order to achieve robust, cost-effective, and iconic designs.
- Develop new integration and assembly techniques from proof-of-concept to mass-production ready.
- Use physics and basic knowledge of textiles, Polyurethane films, Leather and Microfiber to root-cause integration-related issues caused by part design, materials, and assembly. Help resolve issues in a timely manner with Product Design, Manufacturing, and Quality Engineers.
- Work with vendors to balance property trade-offs and drive to scalable solutions. Lead in-region team that supports integration work.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.