Software Engineering Manager, Borg Control Plane
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of experience in a technical leadership role; overseeing strategic projects, with 2 years of experience in a people management, supervision/team leadership role.
- Experience in designing distributed systems.
- Experience in people management and career development.
- Experience with agile project management.
- Experience building infrastructure, simulation, emulation, and dev tools to increase developer productivity.
- Excellent project management skills.
About the job
Like Google's own ambitions, the work of a Software Engineer (SWE) goes way beyond just Search. SWE Managers have not only the technical expertise to take on and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a SWE Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. SWE teams work all across the company, in areas such as information retrieval, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and is growing every day. Operating with scale and speed, our exceptional software engineers are just getting started -- and as a manager, you guide the way.
Borg is a fault-tolerant, scalable, and efficient cluster management system that runs Google workloads on Google data center machine clusters. Borg Admission Control, Borg Scheduler, Safe Removal Service (SRS), and Simulation Framework Lumos are key components of Borg that enable it to provide these features. We own and manage these components that work together to provide a reliable and efficient platform for running Google workloads.
In this role, you will provide a unique opportunity to shape the next generation cluster management system for Google.
Google Cloud accelerates organizations’ ability to digitally transform their business with the best infrastructure, platform, industry solutions and expertise. We deliver enterprise-grade solutions that leverage Google’s cutting-edge technology – all on the cleanest cloud in the industry. Customers in more than 200 countries and territories turn to Google Cloud as their trusted partner to enable growth and solve their most critical business problems.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $185,000-$283,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Manage a team of Software Engineers to deliver the whole lifecycle of services to design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software.
- Guide and mentor the team, conduct performance reviews, grow the team members, and help them in their career progression.
- Own strategic outcomes for projects/programs by planning, communicating, and ensuring optimization or improvement of process and delivery against team, project, or product Objectives and Key Results
- Provide technical and execution guidance on a number of high-impact efforts.
- Work with Product Areaa team to understand requirements, oversee mapping of requirements into engineering deliverables.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.