HolonIQ, the world's leading impact intelligence platform, is hiring a team of Data Journalists and Chart Experts based in our Colombo Office in Sri Lanka.
Successful applicants will be invited to join a series of cognitive and work style assessments and interviews. Following these sessions, offers will be made for data journalists to start as soon as practical.
Please review the position description below and apply only if you are highly motivated, disciplined, curious and are seeking to join a fast-moving and high-performance team.
HolonIQ is the world’s leading impact intelligence platform. We support governments, institutions, firms & investors around the world to power decisions that matter.
Our customers include some of the world's largest and leading governments and NGOs, universities and research institutions, global technology companies, sovereign wealth funds, private equity and wealth managers and multinational and growth-stage companies working in energy, infrastructure, education and healthcare.
Our values are Curious, Collaborative, Enthusiastic, Explorers. You can learn more about the company here.
About the Role
Every day you will build and publish 20+ charts on high-impact topics. Check out ourworldindata.org/charts, www.economist.com/graphic-detail and https://www.chartr.co/ for examples of the kind of work you will do every single day.
Data journalists will build charts and data visualizations using our proprietary chart-builder to help the world better understand topics related to economics, education, energy, the environment, infrastructure, mobility and healthcare sectors. The ideal candidate will be naturally passionate and curious about data and charts, and also bring journalistic instincts to spot important global trends. The idea of building charts and data storytelling as a career is exciting for the right candidates for this role.
Our ideal candidate is:
- Enthusiastic about research and following current global events and has a keen eye for data-driven news
- A highly analytical thinker, with the ability to extract meaningful insights from data sets
- A creative thinker passionate about data visualization and charts
- Has already built hundreds, maybe thousands of charts either in Excel, PowerPoint, Thinkcell or perhaps you have used ggplot, seaborne, matlibplot, plotly or even built custom charts with D3JS
- Organized, self-disciplined and demonstrates strong initiative
- Identify data and topics of relevance and story potential in the areas of economics, education, climate and health
- Acquire, clean and analyze the datasets relevant to the topic
- Build 20+ high-impact charts every day
- Develop original ideas and visualize data to provide insights that resonate with our clients
- Monitor and curate data-driven news and stay updated on emerging topics
- Work with the economics and industry teams to create accurate content
- Manage multiple tasks and timelines effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Understand charts and data and have expertise in understanding why some charts are better (or worse) to illustrate a point.
- Excellent skills in researching industry and company-specific areas of focus
- Drive to learn quickly and a passion for staying on top of emerging global topics
- Creativity and ability to present data effectively in charts
- Candidates with a bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Business, Economics, or a related field will be well-considered
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work with and within a team environment in a fast-paced environment
- Prior experience in a similar role will be a plus
HolonIQ grants 25 days paid leave per year plus statutory religious holidays.
HolonIQ staff are required to work on full moon days falling on weekdays. A day in lieu of every full moon day worked is added to an employees leave entitlement. The same would apply to other statutory holidays; excluding religious holidays.