Associate Vice President, Employer Mobilization Practice
Jobs for the Future
Jobs for the Future (JFF) drives transformation of the U.S. education and workforce systems to achieve equitable economic advancement for all. Seeing that millions of people are unfairly shut out of quality jobs and the chance for a better life, our goal is to align education, workforce, and employment changemakers toward a shared North Star: In 10 years, 75 million people facing systemic barriers to advancement will work in quality jobs.
To achieve that goal, we design solutions, scale best practices, influence policy and action, and invest in innovation. With a staff of more than 300 people across the country working remotely and in offices in Boston (headquarters), Washington, DC, and Oakland, California, we operate at the national, state, and local levels, forging deep partnerships with employers, investors, entrepreneurs, policymakers, and education and workforce development providers to break down barriers and reimagine what’s possible.
We’re on a path of ongoing growth and expanding impact. We have an operating budget of $105 million, and we’re funded by dozens of leading government agencies, foundations, and corporations. Learn more about JFF and join us as we build a future that works—for everyone.
DEIBW at JFF
Diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and well-being (DEIBW) are core to JFF’s North Star and mission. We employ and build diverse teams across race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity and expression, age, and lived experiences and are constantly working toward ensuring these differences are celebrated and included. We aim to cultivate a culture that centers the overall care, well-being, and success of the employee through flexible work hours, balanced workloads, professional development, and equitable career advancement opportunities. Learn more about what DEIBW looks like in practice at JFF.
We look to invest in and learn from those who represent the communities we serve, particularly individuals from populations who have been explicitly or implicitly excluded from the workforce. Knowing its importance to the success of our work and the engagement of our staff members, we aspire to attract and retain a diverse team and welcome people of all backgrounds to apply to our open roles. JFF is a fair chance employer and in alignment to our North Star, we strongly encourage individuals whose highest level of education attained is less than a 4-year degree; People of Color; and people with records to apply.
About the Employer Mobilization Practice
JFF’s Employer Mobilization Practice envisions a world where all employers prioritize economic opportunity and mobility for their workers. We influence, convene, and directly support employers to adopt mindsets and talent practices that increase economic advancement for workers. Our service lines include Knowledge & Insights, Network Mobilization, and Program Design and Consulting. We are a leading authority on employer practices that foster inclusive career mobility; we host multiple events, convenings, and “activations” each year (e.g., Impact Employer Summit; Recover Stronger coalition; Action Collaboratives; LinkedIn Live events; etc.); and we support employers 1:1 as they work to adopt the practices we recommend. We aim to see employers make substantive practice changes to enhance career opportunities and mobility for individuals facing systemic barriers to economic advancement.
About the Position
JFF is seeking a visionary, entrepreneurial, and results-driven Associate Vice President (AVP) to join our Employer Mobilization Practice (EMP). Reporting directly to the Vice President of the EMP, the AVP will play a pivotal national leadership role in shaping and executing the ambitious vision and strategy of the EMP team, growing both our network of employer partners and the EMP brand. As the AVP, you will be responsible for employer relationship management and cultivation, playing a pivotal role in helping us improve and expand the experience of our employer network; supporting team strategy; and contributing to our thought leadership. Like all members of the Practice, you will be accountable for individual fundraising targets and goals, and you will be charged with building and expanding both our brand recognition and our partnerships.
By partnering with the EMP team, JFF’s other Practices and Centers, and the Solutions Design & Delivery teams, you’ll drive the adoption of JFF’s talent practice recommendations for employers and ensure we are bringing the best solutions and thinking across JFF to our employer partners in a codified, repeatable way. Your work will be instrumental in leading and ensuring execution excellence across a portfolio of employer facing JFF projects, creating connections, convening and opportunities for our network partners to drive impactful change.
This role is ideal for a strategic, equity-oriented, and collaborative individual with a demonstrated track record of fostering growth and providing impactful leadership at the national level. If you are passionate about driving transformative change with employers nationally, we invite you to apply!
What You'll Do
Lead an effort to expand, deepen, and mobilize JFF’s network and relationships with employers:
- Lead the strategy to develop, expand, and foster connection and conversation among JFF’s employer network, building an employer movement from awareness to action across channels (e.g., website, in-person, virtual engagement).
- Identify strategies, approaches and opportunities to tailor and scale our influence with employers, with accountability for network development and engagement KPI’s.
- Spearhead the leadership and strategy of major national events and convenings that drive action among JFF’s employer network, including our annual Impact Employer Summit, and other engagements, working collaboratively across JFF to bring these events to life, amplify our work, and drive impact towards our mission.
- Partner with JFF Markets/Networks team to create a codified, replicable approach to employer network leadership and management.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Communications Business Partner to inform the marketing and communications’ strategy and brand to engage and expand the employer network.
Expand and Engage in Strategic Partnership Development, Fundraising, and Business Development:
- Influence and deepen EMP's strategy in alignment with JFF’s North Star.
- Execute against an individual fundraising/business development goal, engaging with funders, clients, and partners to develop and fund new ideas and initiatives.
- Proactively identify, build, cultivate, and expand strategic partnerships with national thought leaders and leading organizations aligned with JFF and EMP goals.
- Cultivate and nourish relationships with funders, clients, and partners creating an environment of collaboration, cooperation and mobilization towards action.
- Collaborate with Develpment Business Partner on pipeline review sessions and help to advance relationships through moves management stages
Create Original Thought Leadership to Generate Employer Practice Change Aligned with JFF’s Mission:
- Lead as a subject matter expert in the field on topics related to JFF’s guidance for employer action, guiding partners and colleagues in concept development and program design.
- Present original thought leadership to employers and other field leaders.
- Champion JFF’s mission and EMP’s thought leadership and programming externally, representing JFF in conferences, convenings, and media.
- Position JFF’s point of view within the broader ecosystem and design impactful programs which connect our stakeholders and mobilize them toward action.
- Define a research agenda in collaboration with the Research & Analytics unit.
Organizational and Team Leadership:
- Collaborate extensively with other teams and leaders within JFF to ensure high-quality project execution and coordination – to ensure we are bringing the best solutions and thinking across JFF to our employer partners in a codified, repeatable way.
- Sponsor a portfolio of projects related to employer mobilization, maintaining accountability to project budgets, client and funder development, and overall performance against promised outcomes.
- Contribute to strategic planning and decision-making within EMP and the Solutions Group.
- Model inclusive leadership and foster collaboration among colleagues, driving the team toward mission objectives.
- Direct project teams to drive excellence in project outcomes, coaching team leadership as needed.
Who You Are
The qualifications listed within the job description are intended as a guide and we do not expect candidates to bring all experiences and skills listed. Research supports the idea that self-selecting out of potential professional opportunities is particularly common among individuals with identities that are marginalized in professional spaces. So, if you believe that you can meet the overall expectations of the position, we encourage you to apply so that we have an opportunity to learn more about you and the unique strengths you would bring to the work.
- You are a nationally recognized subject matter expert on the issue of employer practice and how employers can support inclusive career mobility through practice change. (New hires at the AVP level at JFF typically bring 15-20 years of prior professional experience.)
- You bring leadership and field expertise in developing and executing inclusive talent strategies and driving employer action.
- You have proven success in fundraising, relationship management, and proposal development, showcasing creative deal-making skills and a history of securing seven-figure contracts and grants.
- You have specialized knowledge and an extensive network of personal contacts among major employers, social impact leaders, and funders, and the ability to grow networks that contribute to the advancement of team objectives.
- You have a proven ability to cultivate trusting, high-value relationships with internal and external stakeholders, enhancing collaboration and achieving strategic goals.
- You are comfortable with and have experience working with and influencing senior talent leaders within corporations, contributing to organizational success through effective collaboration.
- You bring exceptional writing skills and can develop comprehensive and compelling proposals, thought leadership pieces, and other impactful written communications.
- You bring strong verbal communication and facilitation skills, and are adept at articulating strategy and persuading action among discerning partners, clients, and thought leaders in the field.
- You are a curious, creative, and growth-oriented leader, eager to learn, adapt, and innovate in response to the ever-changing labor economy and social-political landscape.
- You have a proven ability to implement policies and initiatives that advance equity, aligning seamlessly with organizational goals.
- You have high energy and passion for JFF’s mission and North Star, and the ability to apply JFF’s core values to all areas of your work
- You are energized by stewarding JFF’s DEIBW values and practices within your day-to-day work, including embracing the differences and celebrating the diversity that everyone brings to JFF
- You value building positive and collaborative relationships with others, including people whose identities and backgrounds differ from your own
What We Offer
At JFF, we’re fueled by the desire to create a world where everyone has equal opportunity for economic advancement. Our team works hard to push the boundaries of what is possible, and in return, we provide a gratifying work experience, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits program that includes flexibility and choice as core values to support people wherever they are in their lives and careers.
JFF has offices in Boston, Oakland, and Washington, DC; employees are welcome to use JFF office space to work in-person or hybrid, or completely remote. To improve the employee experience and promote productivity while working remotely, JFF offers an annual home office stipend to all regular full-time and part-time employees. In addition, new employees receive office equipment as needed.
The hiring range for this role is $160,000 - $190,000 annually, in alignment to JFF’s Associate Vice President salary band and our compensation philosophy. Starting salaries for new hires will be determined based on a combination of the new hire’s relevant experience and market demands.
As part of your application, please include your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Cat Ward, Vice President Employer Mobilization Practice, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
We are accepting applications through February 21, 2024. Applications submitted by that date will be reviewed, and candidates will receive updates on their candidacy by the week of February 26th.
At JFF, we’re also committed to accessibility and want to ensure that everyone, including people with disabilities, can fully access and engage with our application and hiring process. If you are unable to complete this application due to a disability and/or have specific access/accommodation needs to fully participate in our hiring process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Positions at JFF are not eligible for employer-visa sponsorship or open to F-1 student visa holders.