Senior Corporate Counsel
Strada Education Network
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2023
Strada Education Foundation is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Senior Corporate Counsel to provide legal support and strategic guidance to our organization and its subsidiary and affiliate entities. The Senior Corporate Counsel will play a critical role in ensuring compliance with laws and regulations, managing legal risks, and fostering a culture of ethical conduct. This position requires an experienced attorney with expertise in compliance, regulatory matters, employment law, and risk management.
Strada aspires to become the leading nonprofit organization working to improve education to employment connections, and driving better data and performance on achieving outcomes through and beyond completion of post-secondary education and/or training.
Compliance and Regulatory:
- Establish and oversee a comprehensive compliance program to monitor statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Identify, assess, and mitigate compliance risks by collaborating with relevant departments.
- Develop and review policies related to privacy, information security, and business continuity.
- Provide regular training to employees on compliance matters.
- Manage third-party agreements involving access to confidential information.
- Maintain privacy policies and lead data privacy practices audits.
- Ensure corporate registration compliance and manage charitable solicitation registrations.
- Collaborate with outside counsel to address specific compliance issues.
Human Resources and Employment:
- Act as the primary legal point of contact for labor and employment-related matters and benefits compliance
- Liaise between the Legal department and Human Resources for legal oversight and consultation.
- Manage outside counsel for employment-related matters.
- Manage the corporate insurance program, including annual renewals and risk assessment.
- Liaise with insurance brokers and respond to insurance-related inquiries.
- Oversee the organization's certificate of insurance process.
- Manage legal aspects of real estate matters, including insurance coverage and lease negotiations.
- Draft and negotiate intercompany shared space agreements.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Required Education:
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited US law school.
- Valid license to practice law in good standing in Indiana, District of Columbia, Delaware, or a jurisdiction with bar admittance reciprocity.
- Candidates must obtain a valid license in Indiana, District of Columbia, or Delaware within 12 months of starting the position.
- Six to eight years of practical experience as an attorney in a law firm and/or corporate legal department.
- Preferred Experience:
- Concentration in non-profit advising and compliance, privacy and information security, regulatory practice, and insurance.
- Experience in labor and employment law.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a focus on consensus building.
- Strong working knowledge of laws, regulations, and financial compliance.
- Ability to communicate complex legal concepts to non-legal colleagues effectively.
- Exceptional client-service orientation and persuasive writing skills.
- Discreet and credible, demonstrating a high level of integrity and confidentiality.
- Proficient in written and spoken language, with impeccable language skills.
- Self-motivated and capable of working independently and collaboratively.
- Strategic thinker who can balance short-term and long-term goals.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and administrative skills with meticulous attention to detail.
Strada offers a dynamic, collaborative and inspiring professional environment with a hybrid work schedule, which includes 2-3 days per week in the office. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to Strada’s organizational vibrancy, employee experience, and mission. We strongly encourage applications from people of color/the global majority, immigrant, bilingual, and bicultural individuals; people with disabilities, members of the LBGTQIA+ and gender nonconforming communities; and people with other diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. We believe every member on the team enriches our workplace by contributing to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver critical insights and solutions. We encourage all to apply!