VP & Controller
Strada Education Network
Accounting & Finance
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2023
This individual reports to the Sr. Vice President and Chief Accounting Officer. Responsibilities include, developing accounting policies and procedures, development of internal accounting controls, external reporting and information requirements for internal reporting: maintaining 1) complete and accurate financial statements in accordance with GAAP, and 2) nonprofit accounting financial statements, management of general accounting functions (including payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable / revenue, and record to report), management of general ledger / accounting systems, monthly and year end close, managing the year-end financial statement and Uniform Guidance audit, and management of any other external audits, e.g. 401(k) audits. This individual will assist with the preparation of the book tax provisions for the for-profit entities and UBI related to the not-for-profit entities. This individual will have primary responsibility managing Strada’s Accounting Center of Excellence (COE) as part of Strada’s shared services center, providing accounting support to Strada’s internal and affiliate entities. This individual will be considered as a strong candidate to succeed the current SVP, Chief Accounting Officer.
Strada Education Foundation is a national nonprofit social impact organization that supports programs, policies, and organizations that strengthen connections between education and employment in the U.S., with a special focus on helping those who have faced the greatest challenges securing economic opportunity through postsecondary education or training (PSET). Our new strategic plan focuses on five strategic pillars: clear outcomes, quality coaching, affordable PSET, work-based learning, and employer alignment.
We work with partners in education and training, nonprofit organizations, industry, startups, and public policy. We leverage strategic philanthropy, investments, research, communications, advocacy, and collaborating organizations as tools to help advance equitable pathways to opportunity. Strada aspires to be a nonprofit partner of choice working with education and training providers and leaders, policymakers, and peer organizations. Strada offers a dynamic, collaborative, and inspiring professional environment that provides learning and professional development opportunities, both within the organization and with external partners.
- Four core responsibility areas, listed below with the approximate time required for execution.
- 1. General Accounting: ensure complete and accurate financial reporting in accordance with U.S. GAAP by ensuring that financial policies are established, refreshed and enforced, records are kept in a timely manner in accordance with GAAP; and that adequate controls are in place to safeguard the organization’s assets,, timely completion of monthly accounting close, and timely and accurate management reporting. Ensure strong relationships with Collaborative Organization and gain their trust and satisfaction, measured by ongoing feedback and periodic customer satisfaction surveys.
- 2. Ensure timely completion of the external financial statement audit with limited findings (including the Uniform Guidance audit). Provide overview assistance to Collaborative organizations related to Federal Grant Compliance, as well as necessary financial reporting needed to assist in their performance of controls.
- 3.For any acquisition, disposition, new entity or reorganization work (if applicable during the year), provide support to executive, legal and other acquisition teams related to such matters as applicable e.g. structuring, due diligence, purchase/disposition accounting, tax related matters and contingent purchase matters. Support would also include adding or removing said organization from any accounting setups (tax filings, invoice forms, NetSuite/ADP/Certify/Tipalti setups).
- 4. Execution and management of the accounting COE providing day to day guidance, direction and support to the accounting department and shared service stakeholders. Continue to execute and improve shared service platform through Phase II of Accounting Redesign. Requires a continuous improvement mindset and vision to implement digital strategies to drive process improvement. The candidate should be comfortable transitioning the accounting team to a KPI-driven organization delivering against customer service level agreements (SLA’s) and standard operating procedures (SOP’s). Innovative thinking and vision should be balanced with adherence to accounting policies, procedures / processes and applicable controls.
The Person: Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting& CPA is required.
- MBA a plus.
- Experience and Skills Required
- Minimum level of 7-10 years total progressive experience in accounting.
- 5+ years of management experience in an accounting/financial area.
- Solid understanding of tax.
- Experience with GAAP, general ledger systems, general accounting, and accounting controls.
- Demonstrated technical accounting experience and implementation of new standards.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with multiple levels of senior management.
- In-depth experience with excel and accounting software applications.
- Strong ERP system experience (NetSuite preferred)Previous controller experience or demonstrated experience to execute function.
- Experience implementing and delivering accounting as a shared service.
- A continuous improvement mindset with strong process improvement, transformation and change management skills.
- Experience with M&A transactions including valuation, tax, due diligence, and structuring and Business Combination accounting knowledge and experience.
- Strong analytical, writing and communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong belief in driving superior organizational health for team members; i.e demonstrated leadership skills.
- Initiative—taking personal responsibility and ownership for completing job duties and assigned tasks.
- Ingenuity—finding practical solutions to challenges focusing on the solution rather than the issue.
- Major accounting firm experience is highly preferred.
- Well organized and ability to multitask effectively.
- Experience reviewing support for mark to market valuation of Investments.
Some overnight travel required
Typical Physical & Mental Demands
Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching; eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Also requires moderate to intense concentration due to complexity and/or need to meet deadlines, and flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Security is Everyone’s Responsibility
In order to protect Strada’s personnel, affiliates, customers, assets and mission, security is the responsibility of every employee. To maintain security, employees are required to read, understand, and follow company security policies including but not limited to the WISP and Employee Handbook. In addition, security training supporting those policies is required at least annually.
Mission and Values Alignment:
Committed to providing equitable pathways to opportunity through PSET, particularly for individuals who have faced significant barriers. Demonstrated alignment with Strada's guiding values, commitment to building a strong and healthy workplace culture, and working in a collaborative environment.
Strategy and Innovation Leadership:
Adept at operationalizing strategy and effectively communicating strategic endeavors within the organization and in external contexts, both verbally and in writing. Particular skill in designing annual plans, monitoring progress, and refining plans as needed. Adaptable with tolerance for ambiguity. Able to problem-solve and navigate varied viewpoints. Capacity to refine efforts based on evidence that change is needed. Ability to lead efforts to visualize and monitor change. Capability to see and support innovative ideas and opportunities across the organization, and to embed innovation within operational plans. Capabilities in taking the perspective of others and adapting an agenda and approach – toward a shared aim - accordingly.
Strategic Problem Solving:
Ability to effectively utilize a hypothesis-driven approach to problem solving, with effective quantitative and communication skills. Ability to take on broad-reaching and sometimes ambiguous questions while working collaboratively and cross-functionally with Strada team members across the organization.
Execution and Operations Leadership:
Ability to translate innovative, strategic ideas into tangible, actionable steps, as well as to effectively monitor progress and partner with others on identifying improvements during implementation to increase the likelihood of successful execution.
Commitment and professional experience advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion within and organization, including incorporating stakeholder perspectives in the design, implementation, and evaluation of strategic efforts.
Relationship Building and Collaborative Capabilities:
Demonstrated ability to cultivate, grow, and manage positive, mutually beneficial relationships at all levels of an organization and with partners outside the organization. Strong communication, interpersonal and relationship management skills—including identifying and working through challenges—underscored by strong judgment and emotional intelligence. Proven collaborator, able to work with colleagues at all levels in the organization.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to Strada’s organizational vibrancy, employee experience, and mission. Strada is Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Workplace-certified by Diversity for Social Impact, a strategic professional and organization development company dedicated to promoting diversity and inclusion to drive social impact worldwide. We strongly encourage applicants from people of color/the global majority, immigrant, bilingual, and bicultural individuals; people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA2S+ and gender nonconforming communities; and people with other diverse backgrounds and lived experiences. We believe every member on the team enriches our workplace by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver critical insights and solutions.