Senior Strategy Consultant, Office of the President
Western Governors University
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs.
At WGU, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role, and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is:
If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Supports the University’s strategic planning process during prescribed planning cycles through the Office of the President.
- Continuously develops and periodically distributes analysis and research findings to leadership and provides actionable insights to the Office of the President.
- Conducts research and policy analysis to inform WGU’s federal policy advocacy.
- Supports the Senior Advisor in developing a learning agenda to complement and advance the President’s thought leadership platform.
- Provides research and analysis to support the President’s thought leadership content, including editorials, blogs, social media posts, and regulatory comment responses.
- Analyzes the learn-to-work ecosystem (including institutions, programs, credentials, cost, enrollment/market share, and positioning) for current and emerging trends, collaborators, and competitors relevant to the University’s strategic positioning.
- May conduct strategic option reviews under the direction of the President and Chief Financial Officer.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Ability to design, structure, execute and manage quantitative and qualitative research.
- Ability to attend to detail, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work professionally with technical and non-technical colleagues explaining complex data, insights, and research issues.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with demonstrated proficiency in data analysis and tools (e.g., SQL, relational databases, Excel, Cognos, Tableau, PowerBI) along with demonstrated knowledge and skills with recognized statistical software (e.g., SAS, SPSS, Stata, other).
- Judgment to prioritize the most important elements of research questions and establish scope, breadth, and depth of analysis in alignment with the expected response time.
- Ability to establish and manage collaborative relationships with team members, subject matter experts, and senior leaders with the highest degree of professionalism.
- Ability to gather and analyze primary and secondary data to understand a market by volume, value, and major forces.
- Ability to manage long-term, multi-phase projects involving C-level stakeholders.
- Ability to explain the significance of data and trends to senior leaders and respond to questions with clarity and accuracy to colleagues with technical and non-technical backgrounds.
- Exemplary writing skills, including producing research reports for executive audiences using MS Word, Excel, and Tableau.
- Commitment to meeting timelines, managing projects, and performing responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency and experience with descriptive and inferential statistics.
- Experience and success with creative problem solving
- Ability to work with changing and multiple priorities and under pressure.
- Works to achieve operational targets with significant to major impact on department, Function, or Office results. May be responsible for managing large projects or processes within the department, function, or office.
- Performs work as directed with limited oversight.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Responsible for leveraging a systems-thinking approach, making moderate to significant improvements of processes, systems, and plans within the department, Function, or Office.
- Problems and issues faced are numerous and challenging, will require detailed information gathering and analysis. Problems typically affect multiple areas or specialties.
Communication & Influence:
- Collaborates cross-functionally with employees within and outside of the department. Typically has responsibility for communicating with parties external to the University.
- Works to influence parties within and outside the department, Function, or Office regarding policies, procedures, and practices.
Leadership & Talent Management
- Is responsible for providing guidance, coaching, and training to other employees in the department, Function, or Office. Responsible for managing projects involving delegation of work and review of others’ work products.
- Demonstrates the WGU leadership principles in all aspects of service to students, employees, and partners of WGU.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, marketing, finance, education, public policy, public administration, social sciences, or another related field.
- 5+ years of experience applying quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Experience in strategic business plans/cycles in a scaled, complex, matrixed company or organization
- Experience applying business acumen in the non-profit sector or to social impact endeavors.
- Professional experience in the higher education or talent and workforce development sectors.
- Familiarity with higher education-related data sources, including Salesforce, LMS and SIS platforms, Burning Glass, Emsi, IPEDS, National Student Clearinghouse, external research companies etc.
- Experience with strategy frameworks and tools, including scenario-based planning.
- Background in innovation theories and their application in highly regulated industries.
- Experience conducting strategic option reviews.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.