Simulation Lab Site Support Technician, Salt Lake City
Western Governors University
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs.
At WGU, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role, and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is:
If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Participate in documenting, maintaining operations, and maintenance processes and procedures.
- Collaborates with IT, AV, Facilities, Health College, and vendor contacts to quickly resolve technical issues.
- Provide deskside support including desk and office equipment setups.
- Troubleshoot employee issues vie email, IM, phone call, utilizing screen share and remote access tools as necessary.
- Apply organizational policies and procedures and develop creative solutions to solve issues.
- Assist with temporary access badge requests.
- Assist with equipment deliveries, stocking shelves, and stockroom organization and cleanliness.
- Assist with on-site printer consumable replenishment and meter reads as needed.
- Work with external teams to resolve escalated employee issues (Service Desk, Infrastructure, Desktop Architecture)
- Experience troubleshooting video conference room hardware and software and phone systems.
- Experience troubleshooting setup, scheduling, and operation of Webex meetings.
- Safeguard electronic data and programming by protecting simulation technology from data loss.
- Maintain records of warranty information, purchase and expiration dates, serial numbers, and maintenance records for Simulation Center equipment.
- Contribute to updating of new equipment user guides and other knowledge articles.
- Facilitate daily FedEx pickups.
- Monitor own ticket assignments and resolves issues and fulfils requests with SLAs.
- Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Remain competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
- Ensure daily that all onsite Simulation and Conference Technology systems are fully functional; daily check of all critical equipment to insure they remain in good working order.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of supplies and ensure operating efficiency of all AV and simulation lab equipment.
- Provide direction and resolution in high-pressure circumstances and immediate response to client requests for assistance.
- Occasional travel to remote WGU sites as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to effectively communicate, analyze and evaluate technical equipment functionality and performance.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Think critically to solve problems independently or in teams and give or follow oral and written instructions to provide desired outcomes is required.
- Good teamwork skills and ability to work with diverse individuals and diverse groups.
- Ability to be self-directed, self-motivated, exercise good time management and independent judgment while identifying and readjusting work priorities as needed is required.
- Ability to configure, operate, and maintain networked computer and audiovisual equipment, beyond the specialized simulation technologies is required.
- Proficiency with a variety of computer hardware and software applications (such as PC and Mac computers, video cameras and microphones), database development and maintenance, security and protection of software programs, computer files and confidential records is required.
- Ability to maintain cleanliness and organization in the workspace.
- Strong attention to detail regarding complex troubleshooting and setup requirements.
- Ability to act independently in applying standard practices and policies.
- Knowledge of best practices in deploying, installing, configuring, administering, and troubleshooting IT equipment: Computers (Apples/Windows), Phones/Tablets (Android/iOS), Printers (Canon or HP), and Peripherals (Monitors, Mice/KB, etc.).
- Works to achieve day-to-day objectives with a significant impact on the job area.
- The work is performed independently under limited supervision and consists of non-routine tasks that may require discretion within established operational boundaries and procedures.
- Assistance in the training and support for lower-level employees is also expected.
Problem Solving and Decision Making:
- Problems and issues faced are unclear and may require some analysis to understand and resolve.
- Employs minor changes in activities and processes to solve problems or improve effectiveness of area.
- Expected to develop solutions independently, with manager review.
Communication and Influence:
- Collaborates with contacts typically within and outside the job area on matters that typically involve obtaining or providing information on matters of moderate importance to the University.
- Explains practices, procedures, and policies to reach agreement.
Leadership & Talent Management:
- Responsible for providing guidance, coaching, and training to other employees within the job area.
- 4 years of experience in learning-based simulation technology or AV technology or IT.
- Requires broad knowledge of operational systems and practices.
- 3 years of Customer Service experience
- Familiar with Webex, medical terminology and nursing simulation technology
- Familiar with ITIL processes, IT and AV systems
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Frequently reaching, bending, sitting, and lifting are required to do the job duties listed above.
- The work area involves moderate environmental discomfort such as continuous moderate noise from machines or equipment used in the lab.
- Work requires regular set up of equipment and simulators of over 50 pounds, including moving human patient simulators which weigh over 100 pounds.
- Occasionally requires working outside normal office hours.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.