Senior Software Engineer
Western Governors University
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs.
At WGU, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role, and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is:
If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Develop web applications and web services using Python (Django), PHP (WordPress), REST, HTTP, and other web technologies.
- Manage multiple tasks and responsibilities in high-pressure environments, excelling at pinpointing and resolving problems in early project stages to avoid cost/time expenses.
- Deliver high-quality projects on time through the ability to design architecture, write high-quality code, and execute effective unit tests.
- Optimize performance tuning for high utilization 24x7 access.
- Integrate third-party products with existing infrastructure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work equally well in self-managed and team-based Agile projects.
- Work with internal customers to gather business processes and project requirements.
- Research, designs, and develops computer software systems in conjunction with hardware product development, applying principles and techniques of computer science, engineering, and mathematical analysis.
- Analyzes software requirements to determine design feasibility within time and cost constraints.
- Consult with hardware engineers and other engineering staff to evaluate the interface between hardware and software and the operational and performance requirements of the overall system.
- Formulates and designs software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and consequences of design.
- Develops and directs software system testing procedures, programming, and documentation.
- Ensures work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
- Performs miscellaneous projects as assigned.
- Updates technical skills as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Experience with Web Services development: Python (Django), PHP (Word press), REST, HTTP
- Experience with frontend technologies like Angular and React
- Good understanding of issue troubleshooting and performance tuning
- Commitment to quality through the ability to translate complex technical requirements into functional software using best practices to write high quality code.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working equally well in self-managed and team-based Agile projects and the ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to other team members
Organizational or Student Impact:
- Follows technical/ business processes; helps support change when necessary.
- Executes complex, specialized technical projects/assignments.
- Responsible for major or many components in the area of expertise.
- Limit errors to prevent impact to client operations, costs, or schedules.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Individual meets department and personal goals with little direction/ supervision.
- Leads key technical projects, programs and may facilitate leadership and development of technical teams.
- Drives project methods, techniques, and procedures.
Communication & Influence:
- Communicates with parties within and outside of the university (e.g., customers, vendors, etc.)
- Works to influence parties within and outside of the job function at an operational level regarding policies, procedures, and practices.
Leadership & Talent Management:
- Responsible for providing guidance, coaching, and training to other employees within the technical area.
- Responsible for managing significant/complex technical projects at this level, involving delegation of work and review of work products.
- Subject matter expert in the area of responsibility or has extensive knowledge of several technical areas.
- Typically requires a technical university degree or equivalent experience.
- 6 years of prior relevant experience.
Department Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 6 years' experience and a proven track record in developing web-based applications and web services using Python (Django), PHP (Word press), REST, HTTP, ServiceNow, and other web technologies, including experience interfacing with databases, and integrating third party products with existing infrastructure.
- Other Technical Experience That Would be a Plus
- Agile/Scrum project development
- Technical Certifications
- Application Integration with legacy systems
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.