Site Support Technician I
Western Governors University
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs.
At WGU, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role, and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is:
If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- ON-SITE ONLY M-F (8-5) Salt Lake City Campus
- Assign and escalate inbound tickets appropriately within the team.
- Monitor for inbound interactions in ServiceNow, flipping to appropriate ticket type (incident/request)
- Monitor own ticket assignments to fulfill requests and resolve issues.
- Troubleshoot employee issues via email, IM, phone call, utilizing screen share and remote access tools as necessary.
- Provide deskside support including desk & office equipment setups and Tier I audiovisual support in conference rooms.
- Assist with covering front desk for walk-up issues and requests.
- Assist with temporary access badge requests.
- Escalate issues to a Technician II/III when appropriate.
- Monitor Teams channels for escalations, issue trends, and support reach outs.
- Provision laptop computers as needed for urgent replacements and equipment refresh.
- Fulfil hardware requests via locker system or shipping to staff.
- Assist with equipment deliveries, stocking shelves, stockroom organization and cleanliness.
- Assist with on-site printer consumable replenishment and meter reads as needed.
- Process returned equipment – redeploy, repurpose, or recycle.
- Facilitate daily FedEx pickups.
- Assist employees with equipment returns by providing FedEx drop off options, shipping labels, or packing materials.
- Apply organizational policies and procedures and develop creative solutions to solve issues.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates high standard of ticket management by communicating and following well documented troubleshooting steps.
- Ability to understand and foster change that takes place in areas of support for employees and equipment.
- Provide excellent customer service by being courteous, professional, understanding, and accommodating. Takes an active role in increasing VSAT %.
- Ability to prioritize and re-prioritize workload as needed.
- Ability to understand the impact a user is experiencing and proceed accordingly.
- Understands the importance of compliance with confidentiality, security principles, and information protection.
- Ability to take ownership of own work and actively seeks opportunities to learn from others.
- Ability to leverage team members, knowledge bases, and People Center for Information.
- Driven to take initiative and can follow directions and knowledge bases with tasks and projects.
- Knowledge of configuring, troubleshooting, and deploying Apple & Windows workstations.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Foundational knowledge of the Microsoft 365 web/desktop applications – Excel, Word, Outlook, Teams, and OneDrive.
- Proven troubleshooting skills for Mac and Windows OS systems in an Enterprise environment. High knowledge in working with System Management software such as N-Central, JAMF, and Intune.
- Excellent interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Good decision-making capabilities and the ability to follow up on decisions.
- Tasks are accomplished by following a defined standard or set of procedures to achieve day to day objectives with direct impact on the area of specialty.
- The work is performed under moderate supervision and consists of routine tasks that may require advice and guidance from more senior personnel in the same area.
Problem Solving and Decision Making:
- Reviews solutions and employs minor adjustments to work methods to solve problems that are routine and typically exist in current work processes and systems.
- May be required to highlight areas of concerns/problems and offer potential solutions.
- Problems and issues faced are generally routine but may require interpretation of procedures or polices to resolve.
Communication and Influence:
- Communication with contacts within the job area is typical, and information that is provided or obtained may require some explanation or interpretation to reach agreement.
- High School diploma
- 2 years of experience in troubleshooting Windows/MacOS workstations and iPads, configuring and deploying Windows/MacOS laptops and Office365 applications.
- Basic knowledge of IT, security principles, confidentiality, and information protection standards and processes.
- ITIL Foundations and CompTIA A+ Certifications
- Experience with AD, IIQ (Identity Management), ServiceNow, and/or Workday.
- Additional experience in configuring and deploying laptops, in an enterprise environment.
- Experience shipping packages using FedEx, UPS, and/or USPS.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Prolonged periods of standing or walking between on-site locations.
- Occasional crawling under desks.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds regularly.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.