Regional Vice President, Northeast Region
Western Governors University
If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Current WGU employees should submit an internal application before 11/28/2023 to be considered.
The Regional Vice President (RVP) plays a critical role in directing the University’s go-to-market functions in the Northeast Region. Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Regional Operations, the RVP serves target populations and addresses economic development priorities relevant to the region. The effective Regional VP will develop relationships and depth of knowledge necessary to define the strategy to expand access among targeted student populations, especially the under-served, to WGU’s high-quality post-secondary programs.
1. Define the "go-to-market" strategy for the region, aligning it with prospect-to-matriculate projections for the region and the colleges in the region.
2. Establish clear priorities, initiatives, and goals that are aligned with college and university plans to achieve access and graduate outcomes.
3. Collaborate with colleges and student success organizations to improve student success and attainment measures.
4. Coordinate with the Marketing organization to execute lead generation and prospect initiatives to increase awareness, reputation, and applicant interest within target populations and workforce sectors.
5. Manage performance and accountability for leads, applicants, enrollment, and matriculates by population, program, and college.
6. Develop a regional partner strategy with key workforce and academic partners to increase awareness, credibility, reputation, and prospect/graduate potential.
7. Define the field marketing strategy that drives goals related to prospect management, awareness development, partner enablement, and more.
8. Develop a strategy for state-level affiliates and scale existing State Affiliates in the region.
9. Define and manage the execution of public relations and brand reputation and awareness development.
10. Engage regional/state/local government, policy, industry, and trade groups to increase standing, reputation, and credibility among influencers.
11. Define, resource, and manage the strategy and priorities for developing regional graduate and alumni services.
12. Coordinate and preside over regional commencement and alumni-related activities.
13. Identify and develop partnership relationships that drive value for employers and students.
14. Demonstrate clear accountability for key student and operational success measures and goals.
15. Project executive presence and delivery of professional presentations to a broad range of constituents.
16. Inspire and motivate leaders, managers, and teams to meet and exceed expectations.
17. Collaborate with academic, technology, university development, and administrative leadership to serve students, partners, and employers.
18. Authentically reflect and portray the mission of WGU.
Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities:
The successful Regional Vice President is a strategic and operational expert skilled in achieving results through effective planning and execution of key priorities and initiatives. This leader adopts a holistic approach, advancing the university's mission with a focus on regional and overall student outcomes. Balancing long-term goals with immediate priorities, they effectively drive outcomes that benefit students, partners, and the industry. As a responsible fiduciary, they are accountable for both outcomes and financial efficiency, ensuring prudent budget management. This role requires a versatile leader proficient in strategy, planning, and execution, informed by a deep understanding of the University's diverse operational areas to shape the region's strategy and market initiatives. Working collaboratively across WGU, they gain trust and authority through demonstrated expertise in strategic and operational responsibilities, driven by these key competencies:
Student focus: Keeps students at the center of decision-making and efforts.
Collaboration and trust-building: Proactively engages with internal and external leaders and communicates effectively.
Strategic thinking: Applies broad strategic direction with a university-wide impact.
Execution and results orientation: Focuses on achieving results and improving performance metrics.
Innovation: Formulates a bold vision and fosters creative thinking.
Managerial breadth: Demonstrates extensive management/operating experience.
Managerial courage: Willingly addresses complex topics and challenges conventional thinking.
Negotiation: Skillfully negotiates and influences in tough situations while maintaining relationships.
Team and individual development: Achieves personal success through the success of others and develops top talent.
Bachelor’s degree, graduate/terminal degree a plus, MBA preferred.
Essential: Minimum of 10 years in executive roles with increasing levels of responsibility.
Demonstrated success in organizational design, planning, execution, and performance attainment.
Consistent year-over-year growth and improved performance in past roles.
Experience in higher education and accreditation.
Proven ability to engage effectively in diverse external arenas, including partnerships, policy, and press.
Established strong networks in academic, workforce, and government sectors.
Sales Experience: Proven track record in sales is highly desirable.
Operational Leadership: Preferred experience leading operations in a large, distributed company.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.