Full Time Program Mentor, College of IT (Talent Pipeline)
Western Governors University
The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs.
At WGU, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role, and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is:
If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
Thank you for considering a future opportunity at WGU! In this talent pipeline requisition, we are not actively recruiting for this position at the moment. However, we are building a network of exceptional individuals who possess the skills and experience required for future openings. By submitting your application to this requisition, you will be added to our talent pipeline and considered for future opportunities.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Acts as a steward for carrying out WGU’s mission and strategic vision.
- The Program Mentor must demonstrate a high level of commitment to student success as evidenced in goal setting, student outcomes, and student notes. Student success, by MSS standards, includes identifying urgent student need as displayed by LCD and Caseload tools as well as notes and documentation for each student, responding to emails and phone calls in a timely manner, and overall attention to urgent student need.
- Offers direct, comprehensive support, coaching, and guidance to a load of assigned students.
- Provides WGU and program level expertise to students and maintains that expertise through ongoing development activities.
- Fosters student learning through innovative and motivational teaching and coaching practices.
- Responds with urgency to meet student needs and communicates professionally and respectfully with students and all other members of the WGU community.
- Maintains a consistent, student-friendly schedule with a selection of outside hours to accommodate various student needs.
- Monitors the progress of assigned students and offers proactive support and outreach to those students.
- Uses technology-based teaching and communication platforms to aid students in their academic progress.
- Collaborates with other professionals within the university to promote a positive, student-obsessed atmosphere.
- Consistently exhibits WGU Leadership Principles.
- Maintains knowledge within assigned college.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Well organized - conscientious and thorough with detail.
- Must demonstrate technological competency: Data entry, email, calendar, word processing, and database programs.
- Extraordinary customer service and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills, with ability to present information clearly, concisely, and accurately; friendly, persuasive speaking and writing style.
- Masters or Advanced degree and all applicable licenses or certifications for a degree program.
- Minimum 3 years of experience providing student support, mentoring, coaching and/or instruction.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse learner profiles.
- Ability to work a student-friendly schedule (evenings/weekends).
Department Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- State and/or federal legislative requirements and/or college accreditation requirements may apply to maintain the necessary credentialing for this role.
- Separate qualifications and/or licensure may be required for some degree programs.
- Strong experience with distance education and distance learning students is preferred.
- Coaching certification (ICF ACC/PCC/MCC or similar).
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Works primarily from home within the continental United States and is available to travel to meetings as required.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.